This is one of the few books that my dad read to my sister and me more than once. I always liked it, (except for the short chapters because we'd have to beg him for another chapter after each one,) but this is my first time reading it as an adult. I decided to reread it because I have recently become a fan of Rachel Portman's and have been listening to all of her music that I can find. Her Operatic adaptation of The Little Prince is beautiful and, overall, it stays true to the book. (I haven't seen the movie yet and I've only listened to the opera, but I'd say from the movie trailers and the libretto of the opera, that the opera is a much truer adaptation then the film.)

I still liked the book a lot, (for quite a few of the parts I could hear the opera singing along with the words, that's how close Rachel Portman stayed to the book,) but now, as an adult, I'm not simply going along with a curious story of a boy who loves a rose setting off to explore the universe, and meeting a pilot. The story is still there, but now I'm trying so hard to see the messages and themes that are hidden in the work. I almost feel there's an allegory about a little boy who was starting to learn more about the world, and didn't like what he learned. Or about a father who's little boy died, and so would never grow up. In order to keep his childish innocence, The Little Prince had to go back to his planet, but how could a bite from a venomous snake send him back to his planet, unless the true meaning was that the bite would send him to Heaven? Despite all of my puzzling, I do not know for certain what this story means. There are a lot of really sweet bits of wisdom that are hard to come by in this world, and I believe there is a deeper meaning under the words, but I just can't figure out what that is.

The two things I didn't like as well in this book was, first, the multiple times that the human body is referred to as a shell that can be cast off. I used to listen to, or read, those kinds of comments without trouble but, and I can't remember if it was an article I read or a video I watched, not that long ago I had it pointed out that the bodies we have will one day be risen and glorified on the last day, and to call it a shell is to disregard the work of God. The other thing I didn't like was the frustratingly open ending. Just let the little prince be happy on his planet with a safe rose for goodness sake. Why can't he use a thin branch or reed from one of the baobab trees to create a strap for the muzzle? Or better yet, just don't have had the pilot have forgotten to draw the muzzle's strap in the first place.

Even though this book was somewhat frustrating, I still did like it overall reading it again as an adult.