Dear book, it's not you, it's me...

— feeling horror
True Crime Stories: 12 Shocking True Crime Murder Cases (True Crime Anthology) - Jack Rosewood

I received this book as an audiobook for free via a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This was, in fact, a well narrated book. The writing was good and the audible reader was decent. The stories were also rather interesting. The problem is that I was feeling depressed, paranoid and slightly nauseous by the time I finished. This is why I don't ever read horror stories. If real life is this horrifying, why do we need to make it worse with fictional horror stories? The only way the book could have made me feel worse is if it had included the murders of Jessica Ridgeway and Dylan Redwine because those were cases that I followed as they occurred, and felt sadness and fear as the police searched for the children and as their bodies were found. The audiobook was two hours and twenty minutes. I listen to my audiobooks at double speed, so I finished it in about an hour and ten minutes. I listened to it almost straight through with only a short break to eat lunch. That is approximately two thirty-five minute increments to finish one book that was both saddening and unsettling. I probably would have felt better if I had listened to only one story a day instead of all at once.

One other comment I have is that I appreciated the fact that, for the most part, the author focused on the victim, not on the killer. Single murders may not garner as many imitators as mass shootings, but, unfortunately there are still some who will imitate. For one or two of the stories the author did focus more on the perpetrator then the victim, and when he did I found myself feeling more squeamish and paranoid than for the stories where he focused more on the innocent victim.

I had never read true-crime before, and, while I did find it interesting, I don't think that it's a genre that I will read very often. If you enjoy reading about true-crime and don't mind short stories grouped together in one anthology then I would suggest this book. If reading about horrific crimes makes you feel squeamish, frightened and sad then it's probably best to avoid the genre altogether. After reading this book I find myself wanting to read Pigs Galore, Pigs Aplenty by David MacPhail or watch Little Bear re-runs to get my mind off this book.