City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) - Cassandra Clare, Melody Violine

This book had plenty of suspense. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

I was uncomfortable with Clary as she and Jace tried to fix their weird relationship. I really liked Clary and Simon, and was saddened by the fact that Clary was using him to distract herself from Jace. Jace is annoying. He's arrogant, selfish and obnoxious, but he does care deeply for people, and will do what he can to save them. I really, really liked the father, daughter dynamic between Clary and Luke, and it was nice to meet the Lightwood parents as well. Even as we saw Maryse pushing Jace away, I still liked that she was trying to protect him, that she still felt like he was her son.

I was sad that Simon was turned into a vampire, but it does put him more in the middle of the Shadowhunter world, which I think he may have unconsciously wanted. I liked that he has a potential love-interest in Maia, and that that might help to create tolerance within the two groups.

Magnus is kind of fun. He wears weird clothes and has a great sense of humor.

I really like Isabelle, though she is sometimes annoying, and from the little we saw of Max I thought he seemed like he had potential to become an fun and interesting character. I don't like Alec as well for some reason.

I'm not sure how I feel about Clary and Jace having superpowers. I guess it would have been difficult for Clary to be accepted into the Shadowhunter realm without her having a something special about her to make people want to teach her, but Jace is already annoyingly arrogant and didn't need superpowers to make him more so. And because he had basically saved everyone's butts I don't think they needed him to have superpowers for them to finally stop blaming him for what his father did.

Overall a this was a good follow-up to the first book