Curse of the Seer

Curse of the Seer - Daniel Schwabauer It took a long time for me to get this book. And I mean a long time. I started watching for it as soon as I finished the Runt books. Then with the continually delayed release date and some trouble from Barnes and Noble, I started to wonder if I would ever get it.

Eli is feisty and stubborn and prideful. He isn't as good and sweet and strong as JaRed, but he is just as easy to identify with. In spite of this I didn't like the book quite as much as I liked the first two books (which isn't to say it wasn't a good book, because it was.) I went into JaRed's stories without a clue that they were an allegory, and I really enjoyed them when I realized that they were. I went into Curse of the Seer expecting and anticipating an allegory, and trying to figure out which Biblical story the book was telling. Maybe it's because everyone is so much more familiar with David and Goliath, but I found Runt's allegories easier to pick out. I knew pretty quickly that Glyn the Strong was Samson, but it took me a while to decide that Eli must be Elijah. That's what I get for not being as familiar with the story of Elijah. I did find myself wondering where Elisha was at the end of the story, but all-in-all the story did appear to be that of Elijah. The challenge to the prophets of Baal might have been the trial with the Lost Ones? Even if I hadn't liked this book, I will be rereading Elijah's story in the Bible because of it, and reading the Bible is always a good thing.

Some things were much more obvious, such as IsaBel/Jezebel and Ahaz/Ahab. Kalla's name wasn't as obviously close to Baal, but because they were both pagan gods it was fairly easy to make the connection.

I really enjoyed the book, even if I enjoyed the previous two books better.