Raymie Nightingale

Raymie Nightingale - Kate DiCamillo A good book and a fast read. I read this via audiobook, and the reader was very good. I enjoyed seeing Raymie's character development and her friendship growing with her friends Louisiana and Beverly. Each of the girls seem to be going through an extremely difficult time in their lives. Louisiana's parents are dead and she's being cared for by her loving, but apparently incompetent grandmother. Beverly's dad is gone, and her mother forces her to compete in areas she has no interest. Beverly's mother is also potentially hitting her? Raymie's father just left her and her mother, and Raymie is still hopeful that she can get him to come back. The three girls are taking lessons (trying to take lessons, their teacher is very unhelpful, which helps lead to the girls' adventures.) in baton twirling to enter a contest, but the application for the contest inquired as to what their good deeds were, so the girls set off to do some good deeds, reading to old ladies, and rescuing library books and cats.

I really enjoyed this story, and found myself nervous over what would happen in the story, which is not something that I'm not used to in children's books. I really enjoyed this story, though [b:The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane|37186|The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane|Kate DiCamillo|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361121815s/37186.jpg|822151] is still my favorite of Kate DiCamillo's books.