The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life

The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life - James Martin I went into this book expecting humor at every turn. Instead, what I got was an informative and insightful guide to spirituality with stories of saints, as well as personal stories from the author. And yes, there was some humor, but it wasn't the focus of the book (I believe my expectations of humor can be mainly attributed to the brought orange and yellow cover, as well as the (almost) because for some reason brackets in a title makes me expect humor.) Still, despite my expectations, once I got into the book and realised that this was not a book of Jesuit, or even Catholic jokes, but an excellent introduction to Saint Ignatius's teachings, I found that I really enjoyed it, and learned a great deal. I also admired the fact that that the author, a Jesuit, was able to take practices and insights from Judaism, Islam and even Buddhism, and use their rituals to praise the God of the Trinity in a way that was still very Catholic. I listened to this via audiobook, but I also own a physical copy, for which I am grateful, because this book would be a good one to be able to go back to chapters and re-read parts.