The Elite

The Elite - Kiera Cass One quick fact check; America told Marlee that because the violin she had belonged to the royal family and not to America herself, Marlee could hit Celeste over the head with it (or something like that,) but in the first book it was mentioned that the instruments at the palace were much better than the ones that America herself owned, so in the highly unlikely event that she wasn't already attached to it, America wouldn't have wanted to hurt the violin because of its beauty and quality. Something related that I didn't mention in my review of The Selection, is that, given the price of musical instruments, plus new strings and bow rehairs from time to time, and the fact that they do have to be checked for (and sometimes repaired because of) open seams, cracks and shifted soundposts. Not to mention the amount of practice you have to put toward music, and the fact that you really do have to change teachers from time to time, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have such a poor caste be the musicians. I'm guessing that the author didn't bother to look up the price of a decent violin before considering her characters occupation and caste.
Do I even need to talk about how annoying America was in this book? Her stupidity at the end had me face-palming. I completely understand her fury at Maxon, but did she really think that doing what she did would help in any way? Maxon said at the end that even though he loved her, he didn't trust, but he was kissing Celeste, effectively cheating on both America and Kris. It would make sense if America questioned whether she could trust him. And speaking of cheating, America's affections toward Aspen really bother me. I think that I established in my review of the first book that I don't like Aspen. He's too controlling. I can't even imagine what his response to America staying will be, but I doubt that it'll be gracious. After what happened to Marlee, I would have thought that Aspen and America would've put their relationship on hold--something they should have already done--if for no other reason then to try and protect each other. What's more is that, in order to regain Maxon's trust, one thing that America will have to do is admit that her ex-boyfriend is living in the palace, and I know she won't want to do that.
I did like the revelation of Maxon's secret. I feel bad for him, and it certainly gave his character more depth.
I did enjoy this book, but it would have been more enjoyable if the three main characters had stopped being so darn stupid. And I really hope that there will be an actual meeting between the three main characters (or at least America) and the rebels. Even though I like the general idea of selection plot, the fact that we've only had I've very brief glimpse of people who are actually part of one of the rebel groups is leaving quite a bit to be desired with conflict and action.