The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles

The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles - Steven Pressfield The first two parts of this book made very good points. I fully expected to enjoy the third part as well, but by then I was starting to get bored of the book. While I do believe in God, the author's way of speaking about generic higher powers, and of muses whispering in an artist's ears rubbed me the wrong way. I have enjoy learning about other culture's mythology, and, if nothing else, I have read the Percy Jackson series. I understand the concept of the muse, and I have some understanding about the mythological origins of it, but I was put off by the fact that the author says a prayer, written by Homer, to them before writing. As a Catholic I can understand saying a prayer to God or asking Saint Cecelia, Saint Hildegard and/or Saint Francis de Sales to pray for me before I try to write music (or if I ever beat resistance and try to write a book or start a Youtube channel) but the fact that the author included a prayer to a Greek goddess and seemed to be encouraging us to pray that prayer made me, along with my growing desire to be done with the book, made me dislike the last portion. I also felt that, to some degree the concept of the muse undid the work of the earlier two sections. You are supposed to write, or compose, or paint or whatever, even when you don't feel like it, but if you are having trouble doing those things, if you have what is commonly referred to as writer's block, then the muse gives you a way out. You can simply say; 'oh well, I can't write today because the muse is ignoring me.' I agree with what was said at the beginning of the book. You have to keep writing even when you have writer's block, and you can't claim that you can't because the muse is ignoring you. As Shostakovich said; "I'll admit that writing doesn't always come, but I'm totally against walking around looking at the sky when you're experiencing a block, waiting for inspiration to strike you. Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov didn't like each other and agreed on very few things, but they were of one opinion on this: you had to write constantly. If you can't write a major work, write minor trifles. If you can't write at all, orchestrate something."

This book contains cussing and mentions sex. (Because even after reading this book I don't have the courage to start a booktube channel with reviews from a Catholic viewpoint, I might as well include things that other Catholics might want to know before reading a book in my written review.)

I really did like the concept that the word 'genius' translates to soul, and that if you do not follow the genius that God gave you, you are not reaching the potential that God wanted you to reach. I don't know whether or not that concept would fit with Catholic and Christian teaching, but it kept making me think of [b: The Screwtape Letters|17383917|The Screwtape Letters|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1414551641s/17383917.jpg|2920952] which I was reading (and still am reading) at the same time.

This book is worth reading in it's entirety at least once, and I think it would be worth rereading the parts that I found most helpful the next time I find myself not doing the things that I feel called to do.