The King's Gambit

The King's Gambit - John McNichol, Sean Fitzpatrick I keep reading books on the Catholic YA Fiction list that are for preteens or young teenagers, and I keep finding myself wishing I'd found these books when I was closer to the intended age range.

This was a fun book and a fast read. I liked that it was sci-fi, but still included discussions of faith and God, which is pretty rare for both sci-fi and fantasy. As someone who isn't great at math, and doesn't like science very much, I don't know how convincing the science-concepts were, but I found them to believable enough that I was at least willing to suspend my disbelief when I read them. Well, either that or the book was written well enough that I was reading too fast to question it. The scenes on the chessboard reminded me strongly of the chess scenes in [b: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone|3|Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)|J.K. Rowling||4640799]. The epilogue scene seemed as though it may have been setting up for a sequel.