Ender's Game

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card I read this book as an audiobook, which, according to the author's note at the end is his ideal form for people to read it in.

Maybe because I read as an audiobook, I thought it was fast-paced. I thought it was exciting. I didn't love Ender, but I didn't hate him either. I felt bad for him. The adults were seriously messed up to do what they did to him. In someone else's review I read that they believe Orson Scott Card to be sexist. I was slightly offended by the statement 'too many years of evolution working against them' in regards to why not many girls were in the military, but beyond that I didn't think that the author seemed sexist. He had two strong female characters, Valentine and Petra. I feel like both girls, but especially Petra, could have gotten a lot more plot attention then they did, but never the less, there were strong female characters in spite of the author's bizarre statement.

One area that I truly thought could have been explored more was the ban on religion. Both of Ender's parents were born into illegally religious families (the mother was Mormon, the father was Catholic.) It was mentioned that, despite outwardly rejecting their parent's religions and resolving to obey the oppressive laws the government had enacted, the father, over the mother's objections, baptized all three children. It was mentioned that most of the great military leaders were Jewish, but I'm not sure if they meant Jewish as in the religion or the ethnology. One character Eli said 'Shalom' to Ender several times, but that is the extent of how the illegal religion idea was explored. Maybe it's because I read and loved [b: I Am Margaret|22677852|I Am Margaret (Book 1)|Corinna Turner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1404824695s/22677852.jpg|41847408] and its sequels, but I felt that the anti-religious sentiments of the government would not have been accepted with the level of passivity that was portrayed. Then again, it would have had almost nothing to do with the plot if they'd fought against the restrictions, but I still wish there at least would have been a little more detail. Given the fact that they were trying to have a war against an enemy with who outnumbered the human race, I don't understand why there was a limit on how many kids people could have.

I was quite horrified by the things that were done to Ender and by the things that, because of his treatment, Ender did. I can see how, after suffering from the abuse from the adults and other children in his life, Ender would have had issues, but it still wasn't easy to read about them, and for the adults to do those kinds of things to kids, and let kids do awful things to one another, just shows how twisted they were.

I wasn't especially crazy about the ending. It wasn't satisfying, but I'm not sure the book was intended to be satisfying. I haven't decided yet if I am going to read the further books in the series.