Scarlet

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer This was an excellent sequel to Cinder. We met some new characters; Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne.

Scarlet was sassy, smart and gullible. To be honest, she isn't my favorite character and generally while I was reading the parts of her story I was desperate to get back to Cinder. I couldn't help feeling that her character didn't quite live up to my first impression of her; a gun-toting, smart-aleck badass who was quickly disarmed by Wolf's charms, and didn't even get off a shot when she was initially captured by the rest of the pack in Paris.
I like Wolf as a character, but not really as a romantic character. No matter what his reasons were I found his deception to be very aggravating, as I always do when I see this in love interests. Even though he clearly cares about Scarlet I felt that the two of them basically declaring their love at the end of the book was a little too fast, especially considering the fact that Wolf had betrayed her, however reluctantly he did so, not to mention that he'd just killed his brother (with his teeth) and almost lost control and killed Scarlet as well.

I really did like Thorne. Oh I understand completely why Cinder got so annoyed with him, but I really did like Thorne. He added lovely comic relief with his large ego and smart mouth. He was a very good character to have with Cinder during this time in the book since Cinder wouldn't be cracking any jokes in this stressful time in her life, and it's always good to have some humor in a book. Thorne is the kind of character that I probably wouldn't get along with very well in real life, but I love reading about in a story.

Cinder is wonderful. She's at an extremely difficult period in her life, a wanted fugitive on every continent of Earth and wanted dead on the moon, and she has to figure out how to cope with her new identity as Princess Selene. She finds herself telling a lot of half-truths and sort of lies. She doesn't like doing that, but she's having trouble telling the truth as she struggles to accept it herself. She also suffers from guilt almost every time she uses her Lunar gift. I have to admit that I'm glad she does. If she was perfectly fine manipulating people and getting them to do whatever she wanted then I'd be concerned that we were going to lose her character. Cinder is my favorite character, and she is the reason why I loved this book.

Iko is funny and sweet as in the last book. I have trouble loving Iko because she is a robot, and her personality, her character is nothing but a program glitch making her seem human when she is not. If someone reprogrammed her to remove the personality glitch then she'd be just another droid, and where's the point in that? I am glad that Iko has the personality glitch and she's the only other character besides Thorne who adds comic relief in this book, so I do like her, I just don't love her.

Prince Kai was less interesting in this book then he was in the first book. He's struggling to keep his people safe at the same time as he feels unprepared for his responsibilities as emperor, while fighting with his feelings for Cinder, as he's simultaneously trying to decide if those feelings he has for her were nothing but a Lunar manipulation. I'm glad he's not the typical romantic hero who's willing to throw the whole world under the bus in order to be with his true love who he only knew for a week, but I do find his compromising with Levana to be frustrating. I feel he has potential for later books, but in this one I didn't think he was as interesting or likeable a character.

While I can't honestly say that I liked this more than Cinder, I still think that it's amazing and I am looking foreword to the rest of the series.